Chana Biriyani: Chana biriyani is a flavourful and a very simple dish. As chana (chickpeas) is rich in protein and fibre, this biriyani is very healthy and makes a wholesome meal. It also makes a perfect lunch box recipe. You can serve chana biriyani with curd or raita and mango pickle. It is vegetarian version of chicken/mutton biryani, where the proteins are replaced with rich nutty chickpeas.
Ingredients for Chana Biriyani
- 3/4 cup white chickpeas
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 1 medium to large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- A pinch of garam masala powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 small green cardamoms
- 2 single thin strand of mace
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- A pinch of saffron strands
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 2 tbsp ghee
- A few chopped mint or coriander leaves for garnish
- Salt, to taste
- Water, as required
For green paste:
- 3/4 inch ginger
- 3 to 4 garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 green chili, chopped
Method for Chana Biriyani:
- Rinse and soak the chickpeas overnight or for 8 to 9 hours in enough water.
- Drain them well.
- Pressure cook the soaked chickpeas with add 3 to 3.5 cups water and 1 tsp salt for about 10-12 whistles or till the chickpeas are tender.
- Drain the cooked chickpeas and keep aside.
- Rinse the rice very well under running water till the water runs clear.
- Soak the rice in enough water for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Make a smooth paste of the ingredients under ‘For green paste’ in a chutney grinder with very little water.
- Keep this green paste aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee and add all the whole spices – caraway seeds, cardamoms, mace, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf.
- Fry the whole spices for few seconds and add in the sliced onions.
- Saute the onions till golden brown.
- Add in the green paste and Saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder.
- Saute the tomatoes for a minute or so and add the basmati rice.
- Mix well.
- Add in the curd and saffron threads and mix well.
- Add the drained cooked chickpeas and 2.5 to 3 cups of water.
- Season the mixture with salt.
- Pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles.
- When the pressure is released from the cooker, open the lid of the cooker and gently fluff the rice.
- Chana biriyani is ready to be served.
- Serve hot chana biriyani garnished with coriander leaves and mint leaves and raita, mango pickle, papad or vegetable salad.
If you have any queries regarding the Chana Biriyani recipe, please leave a comment.