Sweet and Sour Pork: Sweet and sour pork, the arguably the most well-known Chinese recipe in the world, is a classic Cantonese dish. Sweet and sour pork is very pleasing to the palate because of the flavorsome sweet and sour sauce—the sweetness from sugar plus the tangy ketchup and sharp rice vinegar—with the crispy fried pork pieces. The secret of an authentic sweet and sour pork dish lies in the perfect balance of the sweet vs. sour taste of the sauce.
Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Pork
- 2 pounds pork boneless top loin
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 can pineapple chunks in syrup, drained and syrup reserved
- 2 medium carrots cut into thin diagonal slices
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp cold water
Method for Sweet and Sour Pork:
- Trim excess fat from pork.
- Cut the pork into 3/4-inch pieces.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer till 360° F.
- Beat flour, 1/4 cup corn starch, 1/2 cup cold water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the egg in large bowl with hand beater until smooth.
- Stir in the pork pieces into batter until well coated.
- Add pork pieces, one at a time, to the hot oil.
- Fry about 20 pieces at a time about 5 minutes, turning 2 or 3 times, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- Add enough water to reserved pineapple syrup to measure 1 cup.
- Heat a wok on medium heat.
- Add in the syrup mixture, brown sugar, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, the soy sauce, carrots and garlic.
- Bring the mixture to boil and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for about 6 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- Mix 2 tablespoons corn starch in about 2 tablespoons cold water.
- Stir the corn starch mixture into the sauce.
- Add in the fried pork, pineapple and bell pepper pieces.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Make sure the sauce is evenly coated to the pork, pineapple and the pepper pieces.
- Sweet and sour pork is ready to be served.
- Sweet and sour pork can be served as it is or also with steaming hot rice.
If you have any queries regarding the Sweet and Sour Pork recipe, please leave a comment.