Mandakki: Mandakki also also known as Uggani or Burugula Upma, a popular street food and a snack served across Karnataka. Mandakki is extremely tasty and easy to make and is usually served with the green chili bajji and thick yogurt. Mandakki can be prepared very quickly by anyone, even kids can easily make this if they have chopped veggies ready.
Ingredients for Mandakki
- 250 gms cleaned puffed rice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of fried gram powder
- 1 medium sized lemon
- 2 green chilies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/3 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp split black gram
- 1 tbsp split bengal gram
- 3 tbsp peanuts
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
Method for Mandakki:
- Heat the oil in a pan, on medium heat.
- Add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, split black gram, split bengal gram and peanuts.
- When they turn golden, add green chilies and curry leaves.
- Sauté well.
- Add in the onions and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, salt & turmeric and fry till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Remove from heat and keep aside till the mixture reaches room temperature.
- Take the puffed rice in a large bowl and add the fried gram powder.
- Mix well.
- Add in the cooked mixture to the puffed rice.
- Mix well and season with salt.
- Add the washed puffed rice, lemon juice, some more salt and mix well.
- Mandakki is ready to be served.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander leaves and a wedge of lemon.
- The more time you take to serve the mandakki, the more the puffed rice will lose it crispiness.
If you have any queries about this Mandakki Recipe, please write down in comment box below.