Coppia Ferrarese: Coppia Ferrarese is a type of sourdough bread made with flour, lard, olive oil, and malt, and has a twisted shape.It was first made around the 12th century in Ferrara, Italy, and has PGI (Protected Geographical Indication) status under European Law.
According to the legend, the host of a dinner to honorthe Duke of Ferrara, had these interwoven breads with typical horns served to allude to some of the duke’s personal adventures.
Note: The leaven should be prepared at least 48 hours in advance.
Ingredients for Coppia Ferrarese
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Lukewarm water
- 1 kg flour (Type 0)
- 350 ml water
- 60 gms pork fat
- 40 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 100 g leaven
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp barley malt
Method for Coppia Ferrarese:
- Take 200 g of flour in a bowl.
- Add some lukewarm water, a teaspoon of oil and a teaspoon of honey to the flour.
- Mix until smooth mixture is formed without lumps.
- Shape the flour mixture into a ball.
- Place the flour ball into a bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel.
- Leave the flour to rest for 48 hours, to ferment.
- Add a few teaspoons of lukewarm water, knead again, and cover with a damp kitchen towel once more.
- The leaven should be refreshed every week.
- Place all the ingredients for the dough into a heavy duty mixer.
- Turn the mixer on and knead for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a worktop or flat surface.
- Divide the dough into balls with a diameter of approximately 5 cm.
Note: In Ferrara, special rolling pins and other accessories are used to roll and shape the bread.
- To shape the manually, roll out each ball on floured surface into strips approximately 30 cm in length.
- Use the palm of your hand to press the dough like the one for strudel, while rolling it into cone-shaped horns.
- Braid couples of such rolls together to obtain the characteristic shape of the couples (four cone-shaped horns interwoven in the middle).
- When shaped, transfer the couples on a wooden board.
- Cover the couples with a wet kitchen towel.
- Let the couplesrest for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hrs.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake the couples till golden brown.
- Remove the Coppia Ferrarese from the oven, and slide onto a wire rack to cool.
- Coppia Ferrarese is ready to be served.
If you have any queries about this Coppia Ferrarese Recipe , please write down in comment box below