Crocchè di Patate: Crocchè di patate also known as Potato croquet’s, are a dish of Sicilian origin, made from mashed potato and egg, which is covered in bread crumbs and fried.Crocchè di patate are typically a Southern Italian street food, ubiquitous at friggitorie, the Italian equivalent of “fish and chips”.
Crocchè di patateis basically creamy potatoes, parmigiano and mozzarella cheese, eggs, and a sprinkle of fresh parsley wrapped up into mouthwatering fried goodness.
Ingredients for Crocchè di Patate
- 5 kg potatoes
- 300 gms mozzarella cheese
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 100 gms parmesan cheese, grated
- 100 gms unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tspNutmeg powder
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- Peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 500 gr breadcrumbs, for coating
Method for Crocchè di Patate:
- Wash the potatoes under running water.
- Boil the potatoes till they are cooked perfectly.
- Remove the potatoes from heat and drain the liquid.
- Peel the potatoes, while they are still hot.
- Mash the potatoes well until smooth.
- Let the potato mash cool down to the room temperature.
- Add the softened butter, grated parmesan, chopped parsley, salt, pepper and egg yolks.
- Mix well, till a uniform potato mixture is formed.
- Make 30 equal sizes balls of the potato mixture.
- Dice the mozzarellain a length wise shape like a stick.
- Take a potato mixture ball and wrap around the mozzarella stick, like a twinkie/stick shape.
- All the potato mixture balls should have a mozzarella stick and should be shaped like twinkie/stick.
- Place all the sticks on a baking paper and in the freezer to firm up, for 30 minutes.
- Prepare egg wash by beating the egg whites.
- Heat the peanut oil to 190°C in a deep fryer.
- Dip each stick in the eggs wash and afterwards cover with breadcrumbs.
- Note: In order to have a cover more crunchy repeat this step twice.
- Fry the sticks in the deep fryer for a few seconds, until golden brown.
- Dry them on absorbent paper.
- Crocchè di patate are ready to be served.
- Serve hot.
If you have any queries about this Crocchè di Patate Recipe , please write down in comment box below