Chicken Congee: Chicken congee is a type of rice porridge or gruel popular in many Asian countries. It is most often served as a meal on its own and despite its many variations; it is usually a thick porridge of rice largely disintegrated after prolonged cooking in water. Also known as jook, chicken congee turns up in Chinese household’s morning, noon, and night.
Ingredients for Chicken Congee
- 1/2 cup rice
- 3-4 cups chicken stock
- 2 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts; cut to thin slices
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Black pepper powder, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp scallions, chopped
- Sesame oil
- 6 pieces shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger, julienned
- Black pepper powder
Method for Chicken Congee:
- Heat the chicken broth in a medium saucepan, on medium heat.
- Add in the rice, garlic, ginger, oyster sauce and soy sauce.
- Let the broth come to boil.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Turn down the heat and let the mixture simmer until the water is absorbed.
- Chicken congee is ready to be served.
- Sprinkle with black pepper powder, a few drops of sesame oil, chopped shiitake mushrooms, julienned ginger and chopped scallions just before serving.
If you have any queries regarding the Chicken Congee recipe, please leave a comment.