Stuffed Cheese Puffs: Stuffed cheese puffs are an easy appetizer packed with bold flavor and creamy texture! Always a hit at parties and tastes far more ‘complicated’ than it really is. Stuffed cheese puffs can be served slightly warm or at room temperature, they can be made ahead and frozen for up to a couple of weeks, and they’re just plain good. They are usually made with gruyère or parmesan cheese, but can also be made with sharp cheddar cheese and vegetable or meat stuffing of your choice.
- 1 large sheet puffed pastry
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and mashed
- 1/3 cup gruyère cheese
- 1/3 cup mango red pepper chutney
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper powder, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Prepare two baking sheets with either parchment paper or spray them well with cooking spray.
- Thaw one large square of puffed pastry for about 10 minutes.
- Flour your countertop or working surface and roll out the pastry square as thinly as possible.
- With a pizza cutter or knife, slice the puffed pastry into approximately 2-inch by 2-inch squares (will make around 18 squares).
- On half the squares, place a tablespoon of mashed avocado, then a teaspoon of gruyère cheese, then a teaspoon of mango red pepper chutney, season with salt and pepper.
- Use the remaining half of the squares as the lids and place one lid over the filling mounds.
- Seal the pastry packages by pressing the edges with a fork, taking care to seal the edges well, pressing the fork in repeatedly, so that no filling escapes during baking.
- In a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork, and apply an egg wash to each of the pastry packages.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds in the pastries.
- Bake for 10 to 20 minutes in the prepared baking trays, watching closely, or until desired browning and puffing has occurred.
- Remove from the oven and keep aside.
- Stuffed cheese puffs are ready to be served.
- Serve warm.
- Egg wash can be replaced if desired with almond milk or soy milk.
- Filling can be changed as per our preference.
If you have any queries regarding the Stuffed Cheese Puffs recipe, please leave a comment.