Kheer: Kheer is an Indian style rice pudding, traditionally made with rice, milk, cream, and sugar and is sometimes flavored with vanilla, nutmeg, jam and/or cinnamon. It can be made in two ways: in a saucepan or by baking in the oven. Kheer is one of the simplest, most satisfying desserts you can make in under half an hour.
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 cups whole milk
- Sugar, to taste
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 1 tbsp chopped almonds
- A few strands of saffron
- Cinnamon powder, for garnish
- Soak the Raisins in a little bit of water to help puff them up.
- Strain and keep aside.
- Heat the milk in a heavy bottomed pan, on medium heat.
- Add in the cooked rice.
- Grind the saffron strands with a little bit of sugar and add it to the milk.
- Keep stirring the pan and make sure milk does not burn at the bottom.
- Cook till it is of desired thickness.
- Once it reaches the desired thickness, add in the sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add in the soaked raisins, pistachios and almonds.
- Turn off the flame.
- Kheer is ready to be served.
- Garnish kheer with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder.
- Serve hot or cold.
- If you are making the rice just for the Kheer, over cook the rice just a little.
- This is a great recipe if you don’t have a lot of time but alternatively, you can add in raw rice and cook it in the milk and it tastes great. But be very careful and keep stirring frequently.
- If you like a smoother texture of rice in the kheer, just mash it lightly before adding it to the Milk.
If you have any queries regarding the Kheer recipe, please leave a comment.