Risotto al Nero di Seppia: Risotto al Nero di Seppia or Black risotto made with cuttlefish or squid ink. Those who have never tasted risotto with cuttlefish ink “nero di seppia”, will probably turn up their noses just thinking about eating it. The ink gives a pearl look to the risotto rice and has a taste of sea. In a way it is sea on your plate.
Ingredients for Risotto al Nero di Seppia
- 300 gms Arborio rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200 ml dry white wine
- 300 ml fish stock, steaming hot
- 200 ml vegetable stock, steaming hot
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 gms squid ink
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper powder, to taste
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Method for Risotto al Nero di Seppia:
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan or cocotte.
- Add in the chopped onions and bell pepper.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring, until softened and translucent, takes about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the rice to the saucepan.
- Stir with wooden spoon till the rice is opaque and slightly toasted.
- Note: Do not burn the rice.
- Add the white wine to the rice.
- Cook, stirring often till the wine is completely absorbed.
- Add in the squid ink along with a ladleful of fish sauce.
- Cook the rice, stirring often, until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue adding and stirring hot stock a ladleful at a time, always waiting until liquid is almost completely absorbed before adding more.
- After the fish stock is completely used, start the same process till the vegetable stock is used up.
- The rice will be cooked to al dente tender and creamy (but not mushy), takes about 20 minutes.
- Remove the Risotto al Nero di Seppia from heat.
- Stir in the butter.
- Add in the grated parmesan cheese.
- Season the Risotto al Nero di Seppia with salt and black pepper powder.
- Risotto al Nero di Seppia is ready to be served.
- Serve hot with additional grated Parmesan.
Note: Cuttlefish or squid rings can be added for a more robust variation. Cook your cuttlefish or squid rings separately, and then add to the risotto mixture at the same time that you start adding the broth.
If you have any queries about this Risotto al Nero di Seppia Recipe , please write down in comment box below