Pizzelle: Pizzelle are traditional Italian waffle cookies made from flour, eggs, sugar, butter or vegetable oil, and flavouring (usually anise or anisette, but also vanilla or lemon zest). Pizzelle can be hard and crisp or soft and chewy depending on the ingredients and method of preparation. Pizzelle’s are eaten flat or folded into cone shapes that are filled with ice cream and other sweets.
Ingredients for Pizzelle
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Pizzelle iron
Method for Pizzelle:
- Beat the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract using a hand mixer, until well combined.
- Sift all-purpose flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder mixture.
- Mix well until smooth.
- Add in the melted butter.
- Mix well to form a thick and soft batter.
- The batter for pizzelle is ready.
- Heat your pizzelle iron.
- Cook the pizzelle according to the instructions that came with your iron. In general, they’ll take between 45 seconds and 2 1/2 minutes to brown.
- Remove the pizzelle from the iron, and cool on a rack.
- Prepare the pizzelle from all the batter.
- Pizzelle are ready to be served.
- Serve the pizzelle after dusting with confectioners’ sugar.
If you have any queries regarding the Pizzelle recipe, please leave a comment.