Minestrone: Minestrone is a thick soup of Italian origin made with vegetables, often with the addition of pasta or rice. Common ingredients include beans, onions, celery, carrots, stock, and tomatoes.There is no set recipe for minestrone, since it is usually made out of whatever vegetables are in season.
Ingredients (serves 5):
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 100 gms thinly sliced pancetta, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 400 gms Swiss chard, stems trimmed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans beef broth
- 30 gms piece Parmesan cheese rind
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, as per taste
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, pancetta, and garlic.
- Sauté until the onion is translucenttakes about 10 minutes.
- Add the Swiss chard and potato.
- Sautéthe vegetablesfor 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and rosemary sprig.
- Simmer until the chard is wilted and the tomatoes break down, takes about 10 minutes.
- Blend 3/4 cup of the beans with 1/4 cup of the broth in a processor until almost smooth.
- Add the pureed bean mixture, remaining broth, and Parmesan cheese rind to the vegetable mixture.
- Simmer until the potato pieces are tender.
- Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the whole beans and parsley.
- Simmer until the beans are heated through and the soup is thick.
- Add salt and ground pepper, as per taste.
- Remove and discard Parmesan rind and rosemary sprig.
- Ladle Minestronesoup into bowls and serve.
If you have any queries about this Minestrone Recipe , please write down in comment box below