Jeera Rice: Zeera rice or Jeera rice or Cumin rice is a tempting rice dish of Punjabi cuisine. In its simplest form, it is steamed rice with nice flavour of pan fried cumin seeds (Jeera). This recipe may also use onion and cashew nuts stir fried in ghee to enhance the flavour and palatability. This rice dish is also widely eaten in Pakistan. We will be making Jeera rice with a little complex flavour.
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- 1 or 2 threads of mace
- 2-3 petals of star anise
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Few coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt, to taste
- Soak the basmati rice in water for 30-40 minutes.
- Drain the rice and keep aside.
- Heat a pan on medium heat.
- Melt the ghee in the pan.
- Add the cumin and all the whole spices mentioned above.
- Let the cumin get browned and the oil fragrant from the spices.
- Add the soaked rice.
- Stir and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add salt and water.
- Cover and cook the rice is cooked.
- The rice should get cooked but not mushy or pasty.
- Keep checking in between whilst the rice is cooking.
- When the jeera rice is done, fluff the rice using a fork.
- jeera rice is ready to be served.
- Garnish the jeera rice with some coriander leaves and serve hot.
- To make Jeera rice in pressure cooker, add 2 and ¼ cups water.
- Add a pinch of turmeric or a pinch of saffron to colour the jeera rice.
- If using onions, then slice them. Brown/caramelize the onions first before adding them to the soaked rice. The jeera rice also gets a nice light brown colour due to the browning of the onions.
If you have any queries regarding the Jeera Rice recipe, please leave a comment.