Dhondas: Dhonas is a baked preparation made made from grated cucumber, coconut, jaggery and sooji/rawa. Dhondas is a part of the Malvani cuisine, from the Konkan region of Maharashtra, Goa and parts of Karnataka. Dhondas is a traditional dessert, is mildly sweet and good for health as well.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup jaggery, grated
- 4 tsp ghee, melted
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 8-9 cashew nuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- Peel and grate the cucumber
- Retain the water that you get while grating the cucumber as it is also used for this dish.
- Mix the grated cucumber, cucumber water, grated jaggery, chopped cashew nuts, grated coconut and salt in a pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cook the mixture, stirring continuously, till the jaggery milts.
- Remove the mixture from heat.
- Allow the cucumber mixture to cool down to the room temperature.
- In a separate pan, melt the ghee.
- Roast the semolina in the ghee till it is well roasted.
- A good indicator that the semolina is well roasted is the wonderful aroma that arises.
- Remove the semolina from heat.
- Allow the semolina to cool sown to the room temperature.
- Mix to the roasted semolina with nutmeg powder, baking soda and the cucumber mixture.
- The resulting batter should be of a cake batter consistency.
- Place the mixture in the baking tin and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 25-30 minutes.
- Test if dhondas is done, by putting a knife straight through the dhondas and pull it out. If no remains stick to the knife, it means that your dhondas is done.
- Dhondas is ready to be served.
- Cut the dhondas in desired shares and serve.
- Dissolve the baking soda in 1 tsp of milk, ensuring no lumps are formed, and then add it to the mix.
- Sometimes, depending on the variety of rava used, the batter becomes very thick and rather dry. If this happens, add a little milk to soften it.
If you have any queries regarding the Dhondas recipe, please leave a comment.