Crab Rangoon: Crab rangoon are deep-fried dumpling appetizers served in American Chinese and more recently, Thai restaurants, stuffed with a combination of cream cheese, lightly flaked crab meat, with scallions, and/or garlic. These fillings are then wrapped in Chinese wonton wrappers in a triangular or flower shape, then deep fried in vegetable oil.
Ingredients for Crab Rangoon
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 150 gms drained tinned crab meat
- 120 gms cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper powder, to taste
- 24 wonton wrappers
Method for Crab Rangoon:
- In a large bowl, combine crab meat, cream cheese, garlic, green onion, sesame oil, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper
- Combine well.
- The filling for crab rangoon is ready.
- Place the wonton wrappers on a work surface.
- Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons of the mixture into the centre of each wrapper.
- Using your finger, rub the edges of the wrappers with water.
- Join the centre of each edge/side of the wonton wrapper to create a flower shape.
- Pinch the edges to seal.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Working in batches, deep fry the flower shaped wonton wrappers until evenly golden brown and crispy, takes about 1-2 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Crab Rangoon is ready to be served.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
If you have any queries regarding the Crab Rangoon recipe, please leave a comment.