Chhena: Chhena or Chhana is fresh, un-ripened curd cheese made from water buffalo milk. A crumbly and moist form of farmers cheese or paneer, it is used to make desserts such as rasgulla. It is created in a similar process to paneer except it is not pressed for as long. Chhena can also be made from regular cow milk.
Ingredients (makes 1 cup chenna):
- 500 ml full cream milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice/vinegar
- Boil the milk on medium heat, in a non stick container.
- Add in the lemon juice to it.
- Stir continuously.
- The milk will start to curdle.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir till all the milk has curdled and whey (liquid) and chenna (curd) has been separated.
- Add in ice cold water to the curdled milk.
- Ice water will help to stop the reaction and lessen the taste of lemon.
- Strain the whole mixture through muslin cloth.
- The chenna will remain in the cloth.
- Squeeze out all the excess water.
- Chenna and ready and can be used for sweets like rasmalai, rasgulla and sandesh.
- If you want to make low fat paneer, then use skimmed milk instead of full cream milk.
- Do not add much lemon juice. Otherwise you will get the taste of lemon in paneer.
- You can use buttermilk instead of lemon juice. For 500 ml milk, use 200 ml of butter milk.
If you have any queries regarding the Chhena recipe, please leave a comment