Chenna Jalebi: Chenna jalebi or Chhena jalebi is a sweet dish originally from coastal Orissa in eastern India, a state known for desserts made of chenna. Chenna jalebi’s popularity has spread beyond coastal Orissa. Chenna jalebi’s are made in a manner very similar to regular jalebis which are popular throughout India. However, the basic ingredient is cottage cheese, or chenna. Fresh chenna is thoroughly kneaded and rolled up into shapes similar to pretzels, before being deep fried. The fully fried chenna pretzels are then soaked in sugary syrup. Chenna jalebis are served either hot or chilled.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 2 cups chenna
- 1/2 cup unsweetened khoya
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp semolina (sooji)
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- Oil, for frying
For Sugar Syrup:
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1tsp green cardamom powder
- 4-5 strands of saffron
- Boil the water and sugar on medium heat, in a deep bottomed vessel.
- Keep boiling the sugar syrup for 15-20 minutes or till the syrup becomes of medium consistency (not too runny or not too thick).
- Add in the green cardamom powder and saffron strands.
- Remove the sugar syrup from heat.
- Keep aside.
- Mix chenna with khoya in a flat bottomed vessel.
- Rub the mixture, continuously with your palm, till the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Knead the mixture till it becomes soft and smooth dough, without any lumps
- Add in the all purpose flour, semolina, green cardamom powder and baking powder.
- Knead well.
- Rest the dough, wrapped in cling film or moist clothe for about 2 hours.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal sized round balls.
- Roll each dough ball with your palm into a long thick rope.
- Coil the rope in a circular motion, leaving a small space in between.
- Stick the end of the dough rope, on itself; it will have the structure of a jalebi.
- Heat the oil in a pan to about 130°C to 150°C.
- Fry the jalebis, few at a time, till they are golden yellow on both sides.
- Transfer the fried jalebis from the oil, after draining the excess oil, to the sugar syrup.
- Keep the jalebis immersed in the sugar syrup for at least 3-4 hours.
- Chenna Jalebi’s are ready to be served.
If you have any queries regarding the Chenna Jalebi recipe, please leave a comment