Carciofi alla Romana: Carciofi alla romana, literally “roman-style artichokes”, is a typical dish of Roman cuisine. In Rome, it is prepared in each household and served in all restaurants in spring-time. Together with the Carciofi alla giudia, it represents one of the most famous artichoke dishes of the roman cuisine.
Ingredients for Carciofi alla Romana
- 8 artichokes
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp sage, chopped
- 2 tbsp mint, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chopped red chilli
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 2 cups dried breadcrumbs
- 300 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 250 ml white wine
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Method for Carciofi alla Romana:
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and add the lemon juice.
- Take an artichoke and peel off the outer leaves until you reach the paler inner leaves.
- Trim the stem and slice off the top of the artichoke so the heart is visible.
- Scoop out the hairy choke.
- Put the trimmed artichoke into the bowl of lemon water to prevent discolorationdue to oxidation.
- Continue preparing the remaining artichokes.
- Combine the lemon zest, herbs (flat-leaf parsley, sage and mint), garlic, chilli, parmigiano reggiano, breadcrumbs and oil in a bowl.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Drain the artichokes from lemon water.
- Stuff each artichoke generously with the breadcrumb mixture by gently separating each leaf and pushing the stuffing into the gaps.
- Tightly pack the artichokes into a baking dish.
- Drizzle with more oil.
- Pour in the white wine.
- Add enough water to just cover the base of the dish by a couple of centimeters.
- Season the dish with salt and pepper.
- Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake the artichokes in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the artichokes are tender when pierced with a skewer.
- Carciofi alla Romana is ready to be served.
If you have any queries about this Carciofi alla Romana Recipe , please write down in comment box below