Almonds and Watercress Soup: Almonds and watercress soup is eaten in almost every Chinese family on daily basis. Watercress makes fantastic soups and the bright fresh flavour of watercress follows its health benefits in almonds and watercress soup with tons of bone-strengthening calcium in every savoury, rich and creamy spoonful.
Ingredients for Almonds and Watercress Soup
- 2 bunches watercress, trimmed
- 250 ml milk
- 250 ml heavy cream
- Rind of 1 lemon, in 1 piece if possible, pith removed
- 125 ml ground almonds
- 2 tbsp butter
- 500 ml minced celery heart
- 2 tbsp white flour
- 625 ml chicken stock
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
Method for Almonds and Watercress Soup:
- Combine the milk and cream in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Add the lemon rind and almonds. Bring almost to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cover and set aside to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium pot over low heat.
- Add in the celery and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Add the stock in a slow, steady stream, and cook for 5 minutes, continuing to stir until the sauce thickens.
- Strain the infused milk into the stock.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Add in the watercress and continue to cook for 6 to 8 minutes more.
- Remove from heat.
- Puree the mixture in food processor or blender,
- Almonds and watercress soup is ready to be served.
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hot or cold.
If you have any queries regarding the Almonds and Watercress Soup recipe, please leave a comment.